CMS recognizes that home dialysis modalities are underutilized in the United States with only 8 percent dialyzing in a home setting versus 92 percent choosing in-center. The ESRD Conditions for Coverage require that the patient records must demonstrate that each patient was informed about all available dialysis modalities. This page has been designed to benefit any dialysis provider, or patient, looking for information on home modalities. The information here will be helpful to dialysis staff, patients, and family who are interested in learning more about dialyzing at home!
These resources can be provided to patients to increase their awareness of home dialysis therapies.
Helpful Resources and Websites
- Modality Comparison Chart
- Consider Your Dialysis Options Flyer
- My Life, My Dialysis Choice
- My Life, My Dialysis Choice (Spanish)
- How-to Manual for Buttonhole Cannulation
- Kidney School Module 2: Treatment Options for Kidney Failure
- Kidney School Module 2: Treatment Options for Kidney Failure (Spanish)
The following resources have been developed by the American Association of Kidney Patients (AAKP) for patient education:
- Dialysis While You Sleep – An Alternative Therapy
- Food Choices for Home Hemodialysis
- Home Dialysis: Together You Can!
- Home Hemodialysis Training – What to Expect
- Is Home Dialysis An Option For You? Should It Be
- Knowing Your Options is Empowering
- Nocturnal vs. Peritoneal Dialysis Peritoneal Dialysis – Safe, and Perhaps Easier Than You Think
- Peritoneal Dialysis A – Z: Implant Surgery, Recovery, Training Process and Going Back to Work
- Short Daily Home Hemodialysis
- The Facts of Peritoneal Dialysis
- Understanding the Peritoneal Dialysis Diet
- You Have Options
The following patient stories have been collected by the American Association of Kidney Patients (AAKP) for patient education:
- A Patient’s Perspective on Nocturnal Hemodialysis
- Going Home – One of the Best Decisions of My Life
- Home Dialysis was Right for Me!
- Home Hemodialysis Training A Patient Perspective
- Living Life on My Terms
- Living Life to the Fullest: How Home Hemodialysis Gave Me the Life I Wanted to Live
- My Treatment and Why I Chose It
- Take Your Life Back – Go Home
- The Feeling of Freedom: How Home Hemodialysis and Music Gave Me Back My Life – The David Peterson Story
- There’s No Place Like Home
- Up and Moving Again!
- What I Learned from PD